Posting Date: Jun 21, 2022, 6:31:08 PM
Primary Location: Quebec-Montreal
Job Type: Permanent
FinDev Canada, Canada’s bilateral development finance institution, was established in January 2018. Headquartered in Montreal, FinDev Canada is a subsidiary of Export Development Canada (EDC), Canada’s export credit agency.
FinDev Canada’s mandate is to contribute to the economic, social, and environmental progress of emerging markets and developing countries by supporting development through the private sector in a manner consistent with Canada’s international assistance priorities. FinDev Canada provides financing and investment, including blended finance solutions, along with technical assistance and knowledge to support private enterprises and mobilize private capital, both domestic and international, in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Agreement commitments. We are driven by three strategic impact goals: women’s economic empowerment, climate action, and market development.
Team & Job Overview
In 2020, FinDev Canada launched its Technical Assistance Facility, to complement its financial offerings with strategic non-financial support which can support our clients reach their impact potential. Technical Assistance (TA) aims to address a range companies’ capacity building needs, particularly around gender action, impactful data analysis and management, and overall business performance. TA can be provided to support clients directly (e.g., corporates) or to support financial intermediaries (e.g., financial institutions and funds) who in turn can provide TA or advisory services to their respective portfolio companies/sub-borrowers. The TA Facility also supports market development initiatives to address pain points and advance opportunities pertaining to FinDev Canada’s development impact areas, as well as sectors and regions of focus.
Reporting to the Head of the Technical Assistance Facility, the Program Officer will be a member of a small team in which all team members are committed to supporting the growth of the TA Facility in a hands-on manner. Overall, this is a unique opportunity to join an organization comprised of highly talented professionals committed to delivering on FinDev Canada’s mission. The position is located in Montreal.
The Program Officer, Technical Assistance Facility, will work closely with the small team to manage the Facility’s operations and projects portfolio. Key responsibilities include the following:
- Manage a portfolio of TA projects through all key activities in the project lifecycle including originating project ideas with investment and impact officers, defining scope and budget of projects with clients, preparing for project approvals by the TA Committee, contracting, implementation, and monitoring;
- Work closely with clients, liaising with colleagues as needed, to support them in achieving the intended impact of the TA projects. This includes, designing TA projects collaboratively, recommending implementation approaches and potential service providers, managing for shifts over the course of a project, etc.;
- Support in the development of the TA Facility’s offerings to our clients, by actively applying learnings from existing projects, emerging best practices in the sector, and collaborating with relevant internal and external stakeholders;
- Support in the TA Facility’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) efforts, by aggregating lessons across projects, preparing case studies and other learning outputs;
- Contribute to the TA Facility’s operations and overall management by upkeep of the project management dashboard, templates, reports, and other administrative matters;
- Contribute to the TA Facility’s governance activities which includes monthly meetings with the TA Committee and semi-annual meetings with the Steering Committee;
- Prepare reports for various audiences, as needed, including internal newsletters, updates to FinDev Canada’s Board of Directors, updates to EDC, and FinDev Canada management;
- Undergraduate degree in economics, international development / relations, business management / commerce, or related fields. Master’s degree an asset.
- 7+ years’ experience in a similar role, with at least 3 years in an international development context.
- Experience working and building partnerships with private sector companies, and peer investors and funders, specifically in emerging and/or developing countries.
- Experience in FinDev Canada’s development impact areas (Women’s Economic Empowerment, Climate Change and Mitigation and Adaptation, and Market Development), sectors (Financial Services, Agribusiness, Sustainable Infrastructure) and regions (Sub Saharan Africa, Latin America & the Caribbean)
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Bilingual; English and French. Spanish an asset.
- Analytical business sense and strategic thinking.
- Comfortable with numbers, budgets, reporting and database management.
$75,700 - $113,600
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline on www.edc.ca/careers : Jul 8, 2022, 11:59:00 PM
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.