Senior Associate, Investments
Posting Date: July 21, 2022, 1:33:06 PM
Primary Location: Quebec-Montreal
Job Type: Permanent
FinDev Canada, Canada’s bilateral development finance institution, was established in January 2018. Headquartered in Montreal, FinDev Canada is a subsidiary of Export Development Canada (EDC), Canada’s export credit agency.
FinDev Canada’s mandate is to leverage the capacities of the private sector in emerging markets to further the economic, social, and environmental development through the provision of debt and equity investments, including blended finance solutions, along with technical assistance and knowledge sharing. FinDev Canada works through the private sector in a manner consistent with Canada’s international assistance priorities, by supporting private enterprises and mobilize private capital, both domestic and international, in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Agreement commitments. By providing support to businesses in developing countries, we intend to have a favourable impact on poverty reduction through job creation, women’s economic empowerment, and climate change action. We achieve this by focusing on three priority sectors: Agribusiness value chains, Sustainable Infrastructure, and the Financial Industry.
Team & Job Overview
FinDev Canada’s Investments Team is responsible for managing and expanding our portfolio of direct and indirect investments across our chosen priority sectors and our countries of operation. The Investments team is comprised of sectorial and operational groups such as Financial Institutions & Funds, Sustainable Infrastructure, Blended Finance & Mobilisation as well as Asset Management.
The Investments team’s core tasks consist of business development, transaction processing, and asset management, and it is accountable for meeting FinDev Canada’s portfolio growth targets. FinDev Canada currently manages a portfolio of USD524 million across 32 countries.
FinDev Canada is seeking a Senior Associate, Investments to join our team and contribute to the successful operation of FinDev Canada. The incumbent will work as an integral part of a team of professionals that will source, evaluate, structure, and manage financial transactions.
- Proactively support Investment Officers in monitoring the performance of portfolio companies and help evaluate the management of portfolio companies including assessing competitive threats and opportunities.
- Conduct all aspects of financial transaction, due diligence, and analysis. Conduct and evaluate reference calls. Draft investment proposals and manage internal closing process.
- Develop and utilize financial models for valuation, risk assessment and cash flow analysis purposes. Review financial models, trouble shoot, perform sensitivity analysis, and present analysis/conclusions.
- Coach/train junior analysts and associates in developing financial analysis, presentation, writing, and processing skills.
- Actively communicate with management and other internal stakeholders. Timely and accurate communication with prospective and portfolio clients.
- Participate in industry events.
- Completed CFA, MBA, or MSc in Finance.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant post-MBA experience in the financial sector, with a preference for candidates with experience in development finance institutions.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills. Ability to draft documents and reports that are concise, organized, and focused.
- Investment experience in one or more of the following sectors: renewable energy and climate finance, infrastructure, agri supply chains, financial intermediaries.
- Experience working in developing markets, particularly Latin America, the Caribbean and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Background in international and commercial banking.
- Commitment to sustainable development.
- Proficient in English. In addition, proficiency in French and/or Spanish preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Physical office in downtown Montreal, flexibility to work under a hybrid model (home/office).
- Frequent travel required in FinDev Canada’s core markets (international).
- $89,000-133,600, plus incentive