Investment Officer – Funds and Financial Institutions
Posting Date: July 21, 2022, 1:24:59 PM
Primary Location: Quebec-Montreal
Job Type: Permanent
FinDev Canada, Canada’s bilateral development finance institution, was established in January 2018. Headquartered in Montreal, FinDev Canada is a subsidiary of Export Development Canada (EDC), Canada’s export credit agency.
FinDev Canada’s mandate is to leverage the capacities of the private sector in emerging markets to further the economic, social, and environmental development through the provision of debt and equity investments, including blended finance solutions, along with technical assistance and knowledge sharing. FinDev Canada works through the private sector in a manner consistent with Canada’s international assistance priorities, by supporting private enterprises and mobilize private capital, both domestic and international, in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Agreement commitments. By providing support to businesses in developing countries, we intend to have a favourable impact on poverty reduction through job creation, women’s economic empowerment, and climate change action. We achieve this by focusing on three priority sectors: Agribusiness value chain, Sustainable Infrastructure, and the Financial Industry.
Team & Job Overview
FinDev Canada’s Investments Team is responsible for managing and expanding our portfolio of direct and indirect investments across our chosen priority sectors and our countries of operation. The Investments team is comprised of sectorial and operational groups such as Financial Institutions & Funds, Sustainable Infrastructure, Blended Finance & Mobilisation as well as Asset Management.
The Investments team’s core tasks consist of business development, transaction processing, and asset management, and it is accountable for meeting FinDev Canada’s portfolio growth targets. FinDev Canada currently manages a portfolio of USD524 million across 32 countries.
FinDev Canada is seeking an Investment Officer to join the FinDev Canada Investments team. The Investment Officer will develop and maintain excellent client and partner relationships to build a robust pipeline of bankable transactions within the Financial Institutions sector. The successful candidate will be expected to bring their prior experience and hit the ground running to contribute to our goals and play a key role in the evolution and continuous improvement of FinDev Canada’s practices and processes.
- Identify, originate and develop new business opportunities with current and potential clients in the Financial Intermediates sector in developing markets.
- Conducts all elements of transaction delivery from origination, due diligence, deal structuring to negotiation and closing of documentation.
- Assess and internally present transaction risks and mitigants, and reflect decision outcomes in subsequent structuring negotiations.
- Timely and proactively manage client communication in the context of asset management activities.
- Actively manage a portfolio of customers / transactions; maintains effective relationships with clients and partners; monitors risks; recommends options for the mitigation of risks and for the optimal support to customers; conduct annual reviews of portfolio clients.
- Communicate effectively with management and other internal stakeholders (incl. Risk Mgt, Impact, Legal, and other committees) throughout the investment process.
- Develop a network in the DFI space and participate in industry events on behalf of FinDev Canada.
- Coach & mentor more junior employees in the technical aspects of transaction analysis, deal management and credit process.
- Completed CFA, MBA, or MSc in Finance.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant post-MBA Investment experience working with Financial Intermediaries in developing markets.
- Networking and relationship management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills.
- Strong preference for candidates with experience working with other Development Finance Institutions or Multilateral Development Banks.
- Understanding and experience with economic and development issues in developing countries preferably in Latin America, the Caribbean, and/or Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Knowledge of and commitment to sustainable development.
- Proficient in English. In addition, proficiency in French and/or Spanish preferred.
- Physical office in downtown Montreal, flexibility to work under a hybrid model (home/office).
- Frequent travel required in FinDev Canada’s core markets (international).
- $124,800 - $187,300, plus performance-based incentive
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline on www.edc.ca/careers : August 19, 2022, 11:59:00 PM
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.